Some of the most high-tech inventions of our time seem like they could almost have come straight out of a science fiction film...I mean, autonomous vehicles? Delivery robots? It all seems so unreal, but it’s 100% true. Sometimes reality truly IS stranger than fiction.
The future is now – and it’s all self-driven, baby. At the 2018 Futuristic Logistics Seminar, held at the Hallam Conference Centre in London, Triangle Management gave a glimpse into the latest technologies that are moulding the delivery industry into something the world has never seen before. This article from Post&Parcel will give you the full scoop on the recent developments of the software and hardware the logistics world may be implementing in the near future.
From autonomous vehicles to pavement-level robots, here are some almost unbelievable inventions that are bringing haulage into the 22nd century.
- Are ideal for suburban and rural areas.
- Can deliver to parcel locker terminals.
- However, they are less suited for an inner city environment.
Pavement-Level Delivery Robots
- Used in cities.
- Reduce road emissions and road congestion.
- Profitable and cost-effective (robots don’t require a paycheck).
- Could make local delivery services more affordable, which would increase sales for small shops.
- However, robot expansion will take time – there are the challenges of regulatory barriers and operational integration.
- Existing bikes can be easily converted into electric bikes – this saves time and money.
- eBikes are used by humans, and human couriers are better at interpersonal interactions between customers and staff members.
- Can quickly and easily be integrated into the delivery world.
- Virtual loading bays and smart parking could reduce road congestion and make inner city deliveries quicker.
Robots, drones and eBikes, oh my! What do you think about these futuristic logistics? Do you think they’ll improve the courier business – or are robots going to become sentient and overpower mankind if we’re not careful?